Maple Cream Pie
2 1/4 cups whole milk
2 cups pure maple syrup, dark
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 1/4 cups whipping cream, chilled
1 tablespoon sugar
walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Whisk milk, syrup and yolks in a large bowl to blend
- Whisk flour and cornstarch in a medium bowl
- Gradually whisk 1 cup milk mixture into flour mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until custard thickens and boils, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. (You can make up to this point a day ahead--just cover and keep chilled.).
- Beat cream, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie and sprinkle with walnuts (walnuts are optional).
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Cut room temperature shortening into flour with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is uniform and shortening resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg, water and vinegar together to blend. Pour all the liquid over flour mixture. Stir with fork until mixture is moistened.
- Divide dough in half and shape into a ball. Wrap and chill dough 15 minutes for easier rolling.
- Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour. Roll dough to a uniform thickness in spoke fashion from center to edge with light even strokes. If dough sticks, dust lightly with flour. Roll to a circle about 1" (2.5 cm) larger than upside down pie plate.
- Ease into pie plate without stretching.
- Bake and cool pie crust whether you choose to use a premade, frozen pie crust or your own homemade pie crust. To prebake pie shell, prick bottom and sides of shell thoroughly with fork then bake in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven 10 to15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Beat cream, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie and sprinkle with walnuts (walnuts are optional).